A place where I can share my thoughts and life experiences...

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Time to go

I think it's about time for me to announce to you all that I will be resigning from my current job as an I/S Executive @ SAINS by 15th of September, 2006. Yeap, there is time for us to switch and there is time for us to go.

I had emailed my superior, Grant Than(Section Head of SDI) on 21st of August 2006 regarding my resignation. Well, he didn't reply me at all. Maybe email is quite expensive nowadays, that's why he don't reply. So, I wait until afternoon where Grant check-in to the JKO(Jalan Keretapi Office) office after lunch hour. I gather my guts and walked to him with my hard copy of resignation letter on my hand. Hold my breathe and walked to his place. He saw me and smiled at me. He said "Hi, Roland...I read your email this morning. Have a sit.". So, I passed him my hard copy resignation letter and sat down.

We had a good chat that afternoon. Well, I would not reveal what we were saying...hehehe. All in all, my superior didn't really want to offer me to stay since he knows that SAINS can't offer better salary compared to my new company. I mean he has no authority to offer as well. So, he blessed me and wish me good luck.

Ok, this is my resignation letter.

Roland Yau Ling Siang
31, Three Hills Park
Foochow Road No. 1
93350 Kuching, Sarawak


21st August 2006


Teo Tien Hiong (Chief Executive Officer)
Sains Headquarters,
3rd Floor, Wisma Bapa Malaysia,
Petra Jaya, 93502 Kuching,
Sarawak

Dear Mr. Teo:

Please accept this as formal notice of my resignation from the position of I/S Executive, with effect from 21st August 2006.

I have decided to take this time to evaluate my current goals and investigate new opportunities. This decision was not an easy one and took a lot of consideration.

My last date of employment will be on 14th September 2006. Please be assured that I will do all I can to assist in the smooth handover of my responsibilities before leaving.

It has been a pleasure working for Sarawak Information System Sdn Bhd. I wish Sarawak Information System Sdn Bhd continued success in all your endeavors and I would like to thank you for having me as part of your team.

Yours sincerely,

___________________________
(Roland Yau Ling Siang, I/S Executive)

Cc: Grant Than Sau Bui (SDI Section Head), Lee Siew Kang (Human Resource Manager)


Good bye SAINS...for those who still work in SAINS, I wish you all the best and hope one day you will get out from SAINS also promoted as soon as possible lah..since I quit already, less competitors already, right ? ;p


Over the pass few years (actually only 2 years 2 months lar..as if work for 5~6 years..hehehe) I have worked with SAINS, only two product-based project I had completed. One is MyDesktop and the other one is Simple Database Engine a.k.a Unibase. Currently doing minor support for PaybillsMalaysia. You might be surprised that I had only completed 2 products after working for 2 years. Well, most of the time I would be doing R&D by my own. The following are the R&Ds that I had done :-

  1. DocSearcher - This is an Open Source Java Application where it helps to index and search documents on your desktop.
  2. DHTML - Dynamic HTML, especially dealing with DOM object.
  3. Struts - Open Source MVC Framework(still in research).
  4. Hibernate - Open Source Object/Relational Persistence and query services.
  5. Ajax (Asynchronous Javascript and XML).
  6. Spring - Another Open Source MVC Framework(still in research).
  7. Sun Solaris Administrator
  8. and so on...

Anyway, really felt honored and glad that SAINS gives me this opportunity to learn so much things. But, it's time for me to go for a better opportunity and to achieve my goal. Ok, I think that's all for now. I will share more about my new company in my next post. So, stay tuned dude !

p/s: for those who are interested to resign, you can make a copy of mine ;p cheers !

System.exit(1);

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you shouldn't expose your company's information as it shall be treated as confidential.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Roland Yau said...

hi "soon-to-be your ex-colig"...did i expose anything that is confidential ? oohh..u mean company's address izzit ? ooppss...sorry~

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there, just found ur blog when i was searching for the company Sains.. hmm i'm actually in the team where u quit, the SDI team now.. just joined not long ago, but i dun like it there... it seems like there's no clear software methodology being practised, work is just left onto us without a project manager that constantly guides, etc.. until when the deadline approaches, then we'll be dead meat, as things will bound to be in chaos.. secondly they use Oracle's Jdeveloper there, which isn't really user-friendly compared to Microsoft's and I'm having a hard time even to save/modify data to databases from the Java application, they used their own prewritten classes to save data as well..arrh.. seems like i dun quite learn much here .. everyday just go on so monotonously..sometimes i do see people sleeping, playing games, while others are constantly complaining about their endless project requirements.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Roland Yau said...

Hey Anonymous,

Thanks for dropping by. I agree almost all of your points. During this recessional time, please don't simply move around. Since I am not with Sains anymore, I shouldn't be commenting too much. Hope you will find joy in your job. My advice is, do take more time on your own research. They really provide good environment for us that has initiative to learn something ourself. So, good luck ;)

I like this one - "sometimes i do see people sleeping...". hahaha, I experienced this since day one in Sains. So I guess nothing improved but more eye sickening things happened around us eh? LOL...

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks man for your advice! I have been looking for someone to agree with me for a long time..lol.. swt.. anyway, yeap i'll try to do my best with the environment that I have now, as jobs are not easy to find these days =)

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home